Thursday, August 31, 2006

The Crucible, Languages, Witch Hunts and Babies



We watched a film version of Arthur Miller's "Crucible" last night. The film is about the Salem witch trials and was written by Miller during the McCarthy era during the Communist witch hunts of the 50's. While we watched we fed Maya Sophia. Maya is currently not very interested in 'watching' a screen but she did sit quietly while we fed her. She also seemed to notice when the witches make shrieking and hysterical noises - er face was one of analysis and concentration! Maya has not yet 'entered' language except for her crying. It always seems so amazing to me how babies know no language and eventually learn from what their parents speak. I am hoping that Melissa will speak Spanish to Maya. I am saving the Ukrainian or French for when my parents visit from Canada though I have taught Melissa a Ukrainian word "pypka". Babies first explore the world through listening, touch and their eyes.

No comments: